Sibling Pending… PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 07 July 2006 16:00

Because yesterday was Karley’s due date, we decided to stick very close to home today so that we can be ready at a moments notice. Ready for what you say? Well we are the official Makai-sitters once his mom and dad head for the hospital and we don’t want to let them down. Karley had mentioned that she had had a couple of painful “cramps” earlier so this morning when Rick and I went to Costco on the bike to pick up a few things, we made sure we were home by noon.

This afternoon, while Makai napped, Karley and I sat under the trees enjoying the warm breeze and sunshine while reading our books. While we were basking in the great weather, Karley had another “painful cramp” which I interpreted as a contraction. I suggested we start timing them to see if there was any consistency to them and discovered them to be pretty strong AND pretty regular. With Makai, her labour was such a classic “textbook” case in the beginning and nothing like what she has been going through today, so she was a little unsure of what she was experiencing. By 3:00 PM she called the hospital and they suggested she go in so she could be properly assessed.

It is 10:00 PM as I write this and she is still at the hospital having very painful contractions every four or five minutes but like the last time (with Makai), her cervix is not dilating which means she may have to have another C-section. Tonight Rick and I had dinner with Makai then gave him a bath before tucking him into bed. He asked where “Mama” was a couple of times but seemed content with my explanation and put up no fuss at all. Imagine his surprise when she returns with a tiny baby in her arms!