Pretty In Pink PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 08 July 2006 16:00

If anyone reading this checks our blog as well, you know by now that Karley and Ian have graced us with a baby granddaughter. Last night when I posted this she was in labour at the hospital with contractions coming every five minutes. Rick had gone to the hospital with the hopes that he would be able to video record the baby’s birth (from Karley’s viewpoint, not the doctor’s) however he returned to the house at 1:00 AM empty-handed.

When Makai was born he was emerging chin-first and Karley couldn’t dilate enough; his resulting birth came via c-section. I suppose the “Brit/Scot” blood runs thick in these kids, you know the expression… “chin-up, old chap”, being taken literally by both siblings. Monet too was trying to make her debut chin first and finally after almost 24 hours of painful labour, Karley was taken into the OR for a C-section. Due to their inability to control her pain with an epidural, she underwent general anesthesia and didn’t meet her little girl until almost two hours after she was delivered. Monet Helena MacLachlan was born at 5:17 AM weighing in at 8 lbs. 2 ½ oz. (Makai was 8 lbs. 6 oz.) and has a thick thatch of dark, almost-black hair. She resembles her big brother when he was her size but other than Karley’s lips, it is hard to say who she looks like.

For hours of sleep, of the four adults, Rick comes first with 6 hours, followed by Karley with maybe three, then me and finally Ian with zero hours of sleep. I couldn’t sleep in anticipation of the phone call which didn’t come until 7:00 this morning (with the exception of an hour before Rick returned, and an hour before Jay called to see what was going on at 4:00AM) and by then it was too late to sleep. Because of her incision, the lack of sleep and the after effects of the general anesthetic Karley needs someone with her at all times (no nursery care for the baby at Abbotsford Hospital). At 11:00 AM Ian and I switched places so he could get some shut-eye while Grandpa babysat Makai and I got to meet the little princess! Here she is, just 8 ½ hours old looking very bright and getting used to Granni's camera.