Home is Where the Wheels Stop Turning PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 05 July 2004 00:00
We are often asked where "home" is and we struggle with the answer. I was born in Manitoba, spent seven of my childhood years in Europe and three in Quebec. I lived in and around Orillia, Ontario for over 30 years after spending time in Toronto, Peterborough and Keswick. Rick was born in Weston and grew up in several small communities in and around Bradford, Ontario. His children were born in Alliston but as a family they moved from Barrie to Orillia. Currently we live on Vancouver Island where we'll be until late fall. From there we will be staying in Vancouver for several months so where is home?

For us, home is in Canada and wherever we are parked. Home can be at an RV park on the ocean in British Columbia or in a campground in Craighurst, Ontario. We have all the things that we need in this "home" of ours from books to tools and exercise equipment to computers. We are comfortable, have no gardening chores, no property taxes and if we don't like the weather we can move. Our car has BC license plates and our motorhome, Ontario plates. We have children living from Markham to Sioux Lookout in Ontario and a daughter and future grandchild living in BC. Home is where we live now, not where we lived in the past. Home is a state of the heart, a place of well-being and of contentment.

Home is where we are when the wheels stop turning!