The Value of Change PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 04 July 2004 00:00
As far back as I can remember I have made great efforts not to be a creature of habit. It drives me crazy when I see Queen Elizabeth on TV because she is sporting the exact same hairstyle that she has worn since she was crowned. I just can't imagine being so set in my ways that I am incapable of changing my appearance with a haircut.

My mother has used the excuse that she is too old to change since she was young. Perhaps that is why I try to change things all the time. I am forever changing my eating habits and food choices and now thanks to the motorhome, my place of residence can change as often as I like. Nothing in nature stays the same so why should we humans get so attached to a style or a place. The tide comes in and out twice a day and the beach is left looking different each time. Change facilitates growth and makes life interesting, reducing boredom and complacency. I won't make "concrete" future plans and for those who need their lives to be planned out in detail, my apparent lack of commitment is most upsetting.

I have learned to be flexible partly because I grew up in a family that moved every two or three years forcing me to change homes and friends regularly. I also learned with the death of Jim, my second husband (yes, I had an early marriage at 18, something else I changed) that life can change drastically in less than a second. If I had been a creature of habit, his death could have literally killed me too. We think nothing of changing our cars, our clothes and our minds, so why not change our lives or at the very least, our hairstyles??