The West Coast "Breezes" PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 06 July 2004 00:00
One of the things about living on Vancouver Island that we particularly like is that the weather is such that we have not had the need for our air conditioner. The daytime temperatures rarely go above 25C and the evenings cool down to a pleasant 12-15C degrees. Even if it does get hot, the "breeze" coming off the ocean cools things off pretty quickly. There may be no humidity here, which is wonderful, but do they ever have breezes!

Today, when we first woke up it was raining and we thought it would stay that way, but sure enough the skies cleared and we welcomed the sun. However, along with the sun, we have been getting blown over, literally. The breezes we enjoyed before seemed almost gale like with the temperature barely reaching 19C and it has kept me inside for much of the day. My first series of writing assignments arrived yesterday so I had some research to do anyway.

As the day progressed, the winds got stronger and we watched as a number of the parks trees released some of their weaker branches. The winds come in gusts and we made sure we had nothing outside light enough to take flight. It has made for an interesting day though it has limited our outdoor activities. The forecast is calling for a windier night, which is almost hard to believe, and the temperature is dropping.

I tried to photograph what we have been experiencing but you just can't get wind on film!