Rick and Racing PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 22 July 2004 00:00

Rick's niece Taunja Dilley is married to a race car driver. Mark Dilley drives a race car in the Cascar series, the Canadian, smaller version of NASCAR. Ten years ago, Rick and Bill spent one summer working as crewmembers on Mark's team. The Cascar race is being held in Vancouver this weekend and Rick has volunteered to help Mark so today, Rick headed over to the mainland.

The summer that he crewed for Mark, Rick had the time of his life. Rick was a fuel-man then, fuelling the car during pit stops and he attended every race (including one in Calgary) so this is a wonderful opportunity for him. His role has changed (apparently he will be a spotter) but I am sure the excitement will be the same. He'll be working in "the pits", smelling the burning fuel and experiencing the commotion up close.

Meanwhile, I drove him to the ferry this afternoon and then came back to the motorhome where I continued to work on my potential short story for a few hours. We are enjoying some gorgeous weather here, sunny and hot, a heat wave in fact, with no humidity and no severe weather warnings. It cools down so nicely in the evening too so we still haven't used our air-conditioning. With the projected high for Saturday in the 30'sC though, it is possible we will need it.

No doubt, my racing enthusiast will wish he had it in the pits!