Good Practices PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 25 January 2005 00:00

Nothing makes a person appreciate good health than a few days of feeling sick. I have been unwell three times in as many weeks and I can only feel gratitude for my usual good health. I am reminded that an upset stomach pales in comparison to a serious illness and that I am truly a fortunate person. I am also reminded of the importance of looking after this human vessel of mine in order to enjoy my life fully in the future.

I am sure some of you wonder why I go on about eating organic foods but it is because I want my body to go into old age in as good health as is possible. Contrary to the government funded advertising; dairy products are NOT good for us nor are they a good source of protein. Genetically modified foods are not safe; after all we are tampering with nature and anytime we do that, it proves to be a poor choice. Foods that are loaded with chemicals to enhance them or keep them pesticide free are not safe for us to eat even in minute quantities, yet we are regularly encouraged to eat them. My philosophy for years has been when reading labels (which I always do): if you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't eat it.

The human body has the ability to heal itself under normal circumstances, but when we are constantly depleting it's resources by eating unsafe foods and breathing polluted air, we are compromising its ability. When we consume chemicals in any form, from pharmaceutical medications to dyed or artificially flavoured foods, we are taxing our body's natural healing abilities and putting our good health in jeopardy. I am not sure what has been causing my ill health but I do know that it interferes with my sleep at night and my activities in the daytime. It feels like food poisoning but I can't at this time find the source so for now, it remains a mystery. What I do know, though, is that I am looking forward to feeling well again and I will become even more vigilant about what passes by my lips on its way to my stomach.