A Privilege PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 18 February 2005 00:00

Rick was occupied with helping a park neighbour again today and I had the day to myself. While I was in the pool, I thought it would be nice for Karley to have a day all to herself so I called her and offered to baby-sit Makai. (Was it a nice gesture for her or for me?) Anyway, she thought it was a great idea so at around 11:30 AM the two of them showed up at the motorhome with all the necessary baby items in tow. I needed the diaper bag, full of clothes, diapers, some wipes, a soother, his "Baby-ban" sunglasses and some receiving blankets. She also brought the car seat, the vibrating chair and his carrying harness as well as four bottles of breast milk and so I was set for the day. Karley had a nice day planned; a haircut at her friend Betty's salon and a leisurely afternoon at Granville Island followed by some time to catch up on laundry and household chores.

And I had my day planned with Makai. First we played (well I played with him because really, how much can a 7.5 week old child really play?) and we laughed (well I laughed, he really only smiled) but it was fun for me anyhow. Then after his 45-minute nap in the vibrating chair, 3 ounces of milk, a diaper change (his not mine) and my lunch, we went for a walk around the park to visit with Grandpa and enjoy the beautiful day. That made the little fellow hungry again and tired so we came back to the motorhome and he ate another 2.5 ounces before falling asleep in my arms. I very carefully put him on the couch where he slept soundly for another hour and a half before waking up with a big grin on his face. My day was pure bliss!

The difference between being a parent and being a grandparent is that as a grandparent, we can savour the time it takes for "our" babies to grow up. I remember when my own children were growing up, especially the older two; I couldn't wait for the next stage of their independence so I could regain some of my own. I wanted them to smile, to hold their heads up, to find their hands, to sleep through the night, not appreciating how short each stage really is. My day with Makai ended way too soon and if I could have extended it, I would have. I wanted to absorb every millisecond and will replay them over in my mind forever (or at least as long as I have a mind!). From this I have learned that being a grandparent is a privilege and one that I will always treasure. Kiss