Getting Ready PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 11 May 2005 16:00
Last night, the temperature here dropped to 0C, not exactly spring-like conditions but fortunately it warmed up in the daytime. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day so yours truly headed to Barrie to find something that Makai can sleep in when he and his mom, Karley are here.

It is so much fun shopping for babies now compared to when my children were youngsters because there are so many different and/or improved things to choose from. I was looking for a portable playpen or crib that might fit in our bedroom so Makai could sleep in there during the day. Well, I soon learned that there is a new name for the playpen of yesteryear; they are now referred to a "Play Yards", a more politically correct way of saying the same thing. There is a pretty neat improvement though, that being the addition of a raised area that can be used as a bassinette while the baby is little or even a change table. I found one that looked like it might work and when we are finished with it here we will ship it out to Karley so that she can use it at her home. Whenever I get within fifty yards of a children's store I find myself drawn to as if I was metal and it was magnetized and wandering around the baby section at Sears had that effect. Thank goodness our bank account has limits!

When I returned home, I called Karley and she informed me that she had decided to purchase some Rice Pablum. It seems that lately when Makai has been watching his parents eat, he has been trying to grab their food and when he hasn't been successful, he has been very vocal about it. Not only that but the changes in what he leaves in his diaper is indicative of a maturing digestive system. The child "experts" of today advise parents to wait until children are 6 months old before introducing solid foods because they say it helps to prevent allergies later in their lives. (Heavens, how did we get to the ages we are at without these "experts"?) Anyway, his first experience with a solid food was met with a great deal of enthusiasm as you can see!