We're Off! PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 03 September 2005 16:00
This morning, everyone was awake early in anticipation for our departure and latest journey across Canada to Vancouver. While Christine and Fred double-checked their suitcases in the house to make sure nothing was forgotten, Rick was double-checking the trailer and all it's contents. I put away the ornaments, candles and picture frames and secured drawers and sliding doors so everything would stay in place while we cruise along the highway. By 10:00 AM (we had planned to leave by 9:00), we were on our way heading to Sault Ste Marie, tonight's planned destination. The sun was shining, the forecast calling for it all day and the roads were not busy so it was ideal for our drive.

Our friend Pam Trowbridge lives in Spanish, a small town between Sudbury and the Sault so we stopped there for a short hello and quick goodbye. Many years ago, Pam used to work at Grandview Lodge and our relationship quickly grew into a friendship, which we have maintained ever since. It was terrific to see her and her children (who we haven't seen since they were very little) and though we wished we could have stayed longer, we wanted to reach Sault Ste Marie in time for dinner.

We pulled into the Sault Ste Marie KOA shortly before 5:00 and quickly set up camp. While Chris and I prepared dinner Fred and Rick put out the lawn chairs and started the barbeque. After a dinner of veggie burgers and a tossed salad, Christine, Rick and I went for a short walk while Fred lit a campfire. Because tomorrow we will be going to Thunderbay, we need to get an early start and a good night's sleep will be the perfect end of a great day and the ideal beginning for a new one.