A Day in Thunderbay PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 05 September 2005 16:00
Finally... this morning, because we were staying here in Thunderbay another day, we didn't have to be up bright and early and we all slept in until 7:30 AM. We had made plans last night to go to Mary and Jamie's place at around 11:00 so we all took our time to get ready. We decided to go out for lunch to the Madhouse Tavern, where Mary works (she had today off) for a really good lunch where they serve not a typical bar menu, but "real" home cooked food, with great choices.

Jamie then took us to the Bearskin hangar at the Thunderbay Airport where we had an up-close-and-personal tour of a Metro, the type of plane he flies, an Armed Forces F18 (which was in being repaired) and a AF Sea King helicopter. Rick and Fred sat in the cockpit of the Metro while Jamie gave them some detailed instructions and I looked at the long narrow passenger area. (I think I felt better not actually seeing the plane he flew because now I know he really DOES fly something fairly substantial.) The two AF aircraft were a treat for us to see, as they are not normally housed here and it reminded Christine and I of the days when we would visit a base with Dad, a former jet pilot with the Canadian Forces.

Because Jamie had to work at 4:00, we went with Mary to the Terry Fox Memorial Monument located on Highway 17 where we could have a good view of "The Sleeping Giant " a famous Thunderbay landmark. From there, we then went back to the campground and basked in the warm, (28C) sunshine. After a dinner at the picnic table as the sun was setting, the air cooled in a hurry, forcing us inside until it was time for Mary to go home. It was a really good day, one we will treasure for a while and hopefully it won't be so long before we see Mary and Jamie again!