A Teacher or a Sharer? PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 25 March 2006 16:00

In my teenage years my experience was only lightly peppered with truly gifted teachers; teachers who made learning so interesting that I wanted to return to class to absorb everything they had to give. Unfortunately, the bulk of the teachers I had in high school were boring, rude and or just too complex to understand. As a result, I was a high-school dropout, not something I am proud of but a fact just the same. When I was recruited to “teach” the computer class, I reluctantly accepted the moniker of teacher and have strived to emulate those few folks from my past who should have been at the helm of a classroom.

From our computer sessions here at Catalina Spa, I have come to know that I truly am not a teacher; I am a “sharer”, something I have learned I am passionate about. I don’t profess to be an expert nor do I try and dictate which direction my “classes” should go in. My goal before each session is that everyone who attends should walk away with more knowledge than when they arrived, myself included. To date, my goal has been met and for that I am extremely grateful and I feel a great sense satisfaction. As a result of my classes at the park, today I found myself sharing my “BLOGging” and webpage experiences today with the members of The Palm Springs Writers Guild held at the Desert Palm Library.

The “class” was attended by about 25 people and for two hours I shared my knowledge (aka experiences) about online journaling and how it can be of value to authors, poets and writers to get their names known. Websites and BLOGS can give little known writers a place to develop a readership, promote their books and get their names “out there”. We had a fun afternoon; the two hours flew by and I truly enjoyed myself. I wish those “good” teachers from my past could see me now and know that it is by their example that I share my knowledge.