Winding Again PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 13 May 2006 16:00

After our long motorcycle ride yesterday we expected to be sore this morning but our only after-effect was the need for some extra sleep. It is another hot day here (34C or 93.2F) and so today we decided to do some sight seeing around here by car instead of taking any long road trips. After a leisurely morning and a late lunch we followed Bear Mountain Road, (which the campground is on) towards Shasta Lake. One thing about California is that they sure know how to make windy, twisty roads that snake around the edge of any waterfront and this road was just as crazy as any we have been on. I have never been one to get car sick before but I will say I have been coming very close to it while we drive these roads and Rick is NOT a wild driver.

We also drove north for a while on I-5 to Lakeshore Drive (it seems they are all lakeshore) and followed it for a while. Same story as before, winding, twisting, one switchback after another; surrounding another arm of Shasta Lake which encompasses 375 miles of shoreline. Shasta Lake boasts of being the houseboating & wakeboarding capital of the world and it is easy to see why. It is a magnificent lake which we are told is at the highest it gets right now and by the end of the summer the level at the dam will go down by 100 feet, hence the concept of a “lakefront” property on the lake changes dramatically in one season.

From there we drove to the Sundial Bridge for a walk along the river, hoping it would be cooler (like it was the other day) but even with the fast flow of the water, we found no reprieve. After a short walk we returned to the car and drove home to find a note on the door advising me of a delivery waiting at the office. Karley and Jay sent me this beautiful bouquet of orchids for Mother’s Day. Thank you “kids” and Happy Mother’s Day to you too, Karley!