Breakin’ Butts PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 14 May 2006 16:00

We are in the middle of a record breaking heat wave in northern California, Oregon and Washington with unseasonable temperatures soaring to as high as 38.3C (100.9F). Though the forecast was calling for overcast skies, we knew the best thing we could do was head for higher ground or into the forest where we may find a reprieve. We decided to ride the motorcycle to a town southeast of here, called “Susanville” simply because it has my name in its name. What better reason to go to a town!!

When we left, the temperature was already 30C (86F) and climbing and we were very happy to be wearing shorts and T-shirts. Our route took us towards the Lassen Volcanic National Park, the same route we took last week but where we stopped to add clothing before, this time we rode right by. (The temperatures today never went lower than 26C and we had no need for extra clothes at all.) We have also found that over the past few rides, our butts are getting broken in and we are enjoying the bike more and more each time we go out.

Susanville is a cute little town, though not a place we need to visit again but the ride there and back was beautiful. We were able to stop at a couple of vista points where I was able to capture some of the beauty with the camera. The last time that Mount Lassen erupted was in 1915 and it amazed us how far away from it the volcanic debris was spewed. As we approached the city of Red Bluff where we got onto the I-5, the temperature began to soar from 32C (90F) all the way up to 37.5C (99.5F) and it was 6:30 PM! As hot as it was, we enjoyed every minute of it, and it is nice knowing that it isn’t our age that was making us ache; it was merely lack of practice.