Long, Flat and Sunny PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 27 August 2006 16:00

Initially when we started this cross country trek, I had envisioned us taking turns driving and sleeping, hence getting to Central Ontario in a couple of days. Of course I didn’t allow for the fact that I cannot sleep in a car or that my night vision is horrible so my usefulness as a driver is greatly diminished. Yesterday, Rick did all the driving and as we were both yawning incessantly, we stopped in Medicine Hat, Alberta as the clock was approaching midnight (Mountain Time). I also didn’t factor in how my body doesn’t like sitting for long periods of time in a car and once we got a room, I was humming as if I was plugged into an electrical outlet.

Rick is a great sleeper; he can sleep anywhere at anytime and it took him all of five minutes to fall asleep while yours truly was wired. Seeing as I couldn’t sleep, I set up the new Coffee Blog and uploaded our journal entry and pictures. By 2:00 AM I was finally unwound enough to attempt to sleep but I was awake again and in the shower by 5:45.

This morning I drove for a couple of hours while Rick caught a little more sleep in preparation for another long driving day. Last night when we went to brush our teeth, we discovered that I left our toothbrushes and my cell phone behind in Mission so when we stopped in Regina for gas and food at 11:00 AM, we paid a visit to the local Wal-Mart to buy new ones. My cell phone will be waiting for me when I get back and I’ll save a fortune in unmade calls! (Besides, we do have Rick’s.)

As I write this, we are driving through the prairies and it is flat, flat, flat for as far as the eye can see. The highway is deserted, the sky is blue and the sun is shining; a perfect day for a long drive.