Happy Father’s Day! PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 17 June 2006 16:00

It is Father’s Day today and in recognition of all fathers throughout the planet, I extend a very special salute and hope yours was a great day. Here in Mission, BC, the fathers present in this family (Ian and Rick) celebrated their day by attending “Old Car Sunday in the Park”, an annual Father’s day event here. It was a gathering of hundreds of old cars, antiques, hot rods and modified cars; just the kind of thing that makes car enthusiasts happy and right up Rick and Ian’s alley. Initially the plan was that the “boys” (Makai, Ian and Rick) would all go together but Makai’s nap interfered with that so the two men went together while we (Karley and I) babysat. Once he woke up and had his lunch, Makai, Karley and I met up with Rick and Ian at one of the local park/playgrounds where we left Makai to hang out with the men.

Karley and I went into Abbotsford to see if we could find a rocking chair for the baby-to-be’s room and then do some grocery shopping without a toddler in tow. (We had no luck with the rocking chair...yet!) It was a nice way to spend the afternoon; mother and daughter… grandfather, father and son…all of us doing what we wanted, together and apart. While we shopped, the “boys” returned back to the house to play with a sprinkler and baby pool making one little boy very happy.

Tonight we all enjoyed a Father’s Day dinner of barbequed halibut, fresh veggies and salad together; a great ending to a perfect day. Happy Father’s Day folks!