Perfection! PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 02 July 2006 16:00

Last evening, after our day in Harrison Hot Springs we were all exhausted from a day in the sun so when we came back to Mission, we were all pretty quiet. I don’t think there was anyone among us who didn’t sleep very well, especially Makai. Jay headed home this morning after eating breakfast and playing with his little nephew; Rick did some Moho cleaning and some gardening and Ian tinkered with his new project car.

In this part of the world, aside from acres of wild blackberry bushes, we are surrounded by dozens of blueberry farms. Yesterday on our drive to Harrison Hot Springs we passed by a couple of roadside fruit stands but the highway was too busy to stop at them. For lunch today I had a craving for fresh blueberry “pannekoeks” and seeing as I learned how to make them last month all I needed was the berries to satisfy my craving. While Ian and Rick stayed home with Makai, Karley and I went out on a blueberry hunt. We came back 45 minutes later with two quarts of fresh picked, spray-free raspberries and two quarts of delicious local blueberries. By adding a little maple syrup sweetened whipped cream, we enjoyed a yummy lunch...perfect for a hot summer day.

In fact our whole weekend was pretty much the same…perfect. It was nice having Makai’s favourite Uncle Jay visit, (well, to be fair, the only uncle he really knows well so far); it was nice having Ian home for three days in row; it was nice hanging out together being a family. We enjoyed ideal weather; sunny, hot with no humidity; we savoured some great food and between the family and some super neighbours, we enjoyed great company. Here’s wishing our neighbours to the south have as good a time as we did for their Independence Day holiday!