Granni’s Sorry Makai! PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 04 July 2006 16:00

This afternoon, Makai was trying to get me to read him a book which I didn’t and I am very sorry.

It was the first time I sat down all day and I wasn’t being very cooperative with him. I’d spent my entire day baking and cooking; creating treats for Makai and his family; granola, peanut butter cookies, a carrot cake and penne with a tomato-vodka sauce. He’d struggled to get the book off of the shelf nearby and so I helped him a little bit. The book was large and heavy making it extremely awkward for him to handle and I wasn’t paying much attention. In a millisecond, the book came tumbling down onto my toe while at the same moment his head collided with the corner of it. Instantly he broke into tears (of course, he was in pain) and I felt so terribly guilty for not preventing it from happening in the first place. Karley, who witnessed the event scooped him up and soothed him while at the same time distracting his attention from his “booboo” by reading to him from the book. Apparently he was reaching up to sit on my lap so I could read the book to him before the accident happened, like I have done dozens of time before.

The whole incident reminded me of the times so long ago when his mom, or uncles, Jay and Jamie, were little and I put my needs ahead of theirs. I can’t get those days back or reverse the errors I made then but I can do something about these days. These days will be gone in a flash and once they are Makai will no longer want me to read to him. I need to savour every moment with him while I can. Had I been paying attention to him like I should have, he wouldn’t have a booboo and neither would I. Granni’s sorry Makai!