Summer Colds PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 17 July 2006 16:00

Last week while Rick and Makai attended swimming lessons at the Mission Leisure Centre, they were among dozens of other children and their parents. Whenever anyone is exposed to a busy environment with children they put themselves at risk for picking up germs. At the end of last week, Makai was showing signs of having a cough and on Thursday night while we were in Armstrong, Rick and I woke up with sore throats. Today, the three of us (Rick, Makai and I) have full-on summer colds and now Ian has the beginnings of a sore throat too. We are hoping that Karley and Monet have stronger immune systems than we do and they don’t succumb to this.

Though our symptoms aren’t bad enough to send us to bed, Rick and I have runny noses, mild coughs and our energy levels could be better, consequently it has been a pretty sedate couple of days for us. Surprisingly, Makai hasn’t been miserable or whiney, just his usual happy-go-lucky self and with the exception of an occasional coughing spell, you’d never know he was sick.

Meanwhile his little sister continues to grow fast. When Karley was an infant, she never spit up like many babies do and in fact, the one time she actually did, I called the hospital in a panic thinking something was terribly wrong. Monet has inherited her mom’s digestive system and she too doesn’t spit up at all, therefore her weight gain is nothing short of spectacular. If you recall last Tuesday, when she was just two days old, Monet weighed in at 7lbs. 10oz. When she returned to the doctor three days later on Friday, her weight had increased to 8lbs. 6oz. and today she weighed in at 9 lbs. 7oz.! I’m looking for a “Miss Piggy” T-shirt for her!