In Honour of My Father PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 22 December 2006 16:00

Today is my father’s birthday. Though Dad is no longer here on earth to celebrate this day with us we are celebrating it his way anyway.

Though he never said it, Christmas was Dad’s favourite time of year; he always seemed more joyful than usual when this time of year arrived. When my sister and I had young families and lived near each other, Mom and Dad were living either in Simcoe or London, Ontario, several hours away from us. Dad was a Justice of the Peace and that was where he worked. A few days before Christmas, my parents would arrive at either my house for the holidays or Christine’s (my sister). On his birthday our families would come together and have a spaghetti with meatballs dinner; always something he created.

When he and Mom moved nearer to us in Coldwater we would all land upon their doorstep on December 23rd to celebrate his birthday. Eleven years ago Rick and I became vegetarians and we brought a vegetarian sauce with us. After that first time, I would make the sauce and Dad would make the meatballs (for the carnivores) to be added afterwards.

We celebrated his birthday with him for the last time on December 23rd, 2000. I miss my Dad everyday of the year but most of all today. Though Mom passed over last April and not all the family is together, Jay has joined Karley, Ian, Makai, Monet and us to honour Dad and tonight we are having spaghetti with “meatless” meatballs. Happy Birthday Dad! Know we love you and miss you a lot!