Happy Canada Day! PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Saturday, 30 June 2007 13:35
july 1-07.jpgWe were up very early this morning mostly because the sun rises around 5:00 AM these days in this part of the world and with our opaque vertical blinds up in the condo right now, when the sun comes up, it’s not long before we follow. Because of the Yaletown Grand Prix bike race being held today, the street preparations were well underway early too. From our balcony we were at a perfect vantage point to see the temporary fencing going up and the hay bales being stacked in place at a turn (to soften the blow should someone lose control).

After breakfast we went out to buy a towel rack and a robe hook for the bathroom. While we were shopping and Rick was picking up some other things, I spent some time browsing through paint colours in the home décor section. I think I have narrowed down the colour scheme for the condo and in a few weeks we will get started on changing the walls from “builder’s beige” to a warmer hue.

Once we returned to the condo after our shopping spree and lunch, we were right on time to see (and hear) the first race begin. It was exciting to watch the racers whiz by with their colourful gear, bikes and helmets. Our friends Rich and Laura Ouellette, avid cyclists, would have loved this and we were wishing they were here to see it with us. At one point, Rick went down to the street to the see the action from that level and witnessed a crash involving three cyclists. Unfortunately one of the “crashers” was taken away on a stretcher with a neck brace on.

We completed our Canada Day celebrations back at the Moho in Mission with a visit with Ian, Karley, Makai and Monet. All and all we had a really great day; it was sunny and warm, we had great seats for the bike race and we spent a couple hours with our favourite young family! Happy Canada Day folks!