Goshen, Indiana PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 12 January 2004 00:00

For some reason, I could not sleep last night. I went to bed at 12:30 this morning and woke up at 4:00… wide-awake. After tossing and turning for 45 minutes, I finally got up. I often write in another journal, my spiritual one communing with God, our Creator, and my angels, so I did that for awhile. Then I went on line and checked my email, updated my journal from yesterday, adding some pictures to Flickr. At 6:20 there was a rap on the door. The Travel Supreme repair crew were there ready to take charge of our "house". I woke Rick up; we quickly showered and pulled ourselves together for the day. I was exhausted and the day had barely begun. Surprised

We hung out in the comfortable waiting room for about three hours chatting with Randy, another owner, about the service process (it is his first time here) and his motorhome because I was just too "pooped" to move. Around 11:00 a.m., we ventured into Goshen to go to the only health food store in the area. There we scored some homemade vegetarian chili for lunch and some produce to make a stir-fry for dinner.

Goshen is a small town located in the heart of Amish Country. Actually, this whole area for miles is in Amish Country. They are a fascinating people who manage to stay locked in a time long ago. It is offensive to them to be photographed so I chose not to disrespect them in that manner. I have photographed the Wal-Mart parking lot in Goshen though complete with stable and hitching posts. There are so many types of "Amishness"; Old Order, New Order, breakaway factions etc. as well as Mennonites and Quakers. Somehow they all manage to live quite peacefully together amidst everyday modern Americans. There are extra wide paved shoulders along the highways to accommodate their buggies and the buggies are everywhere.

A real irony for us when we came here in November 2002 to tour Travel Supreme's factory was going to the Wal-Mart in Goshen for the first time. At the entrance was a series of video games and throughout the store, numbers of Amish and non-Amish shoppers. There in the arcade we saw some Amish youths playing a shoot'em-up video game! To us, it just didn't seem right when we knew they are opposed to guns and war. I guess we just forgot that they are American, too.