So Much for Laying Around! PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 19 June 2004 00:00
Last night when we heard the forecast for today, we decided that we would just enjoy Weir's Beach and relax and take it easy at "home". We woke up early to a clear sky and went about getting our day started. We both worked out, walked the beach and had breakfast, then I read and Rick sorted some of the stuff in the storage area under the motorhome. I was enjoying lying around and doing things just for me but by 2:30 PM, Rick was bored silly and I knew that my lazy day was about to change.

We had heard that an American navy aircraft carrier was going to be in port for the weekend along with the 6000 crew members as well as three cruise ships, so we went for a drive to investigate. Rather than go into Victoria and deal with the crowds, we chose to view the carrier from afar. We were able to watch as one of the large cruise ships made it's way into harbour as well. It was very impressive to see the carrier with its 40+ jets on deck, the cruise ship approaching and the skyline of Victoria in the background.

Later, my car-racing enthusiast-husband wanted to go to the Western Speedway, near here to see the local races at 7:00 PM. There were "miniature" figure eight races, truck demo(lition) races and demolition car races. The figure eight races were hilarious and by the time the race was finished, it was difficult to recognize the original cars, which were old Hondas Civics or something similar. Their wheels were off or flat, the backends were in the backseats and the hoods were destroyed or on the track and somehow some cars were still moving. The evening was a blast and it was some of the best entertainment we had seen in a long time!