Essential Ingredients PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 17 July 2004 00:00
I am getting re-acquainted with Ontario weather. Rick and I have been spoiled by the lack of humidity in BC and there is an abundance of it here. Jay, Rachel and I headed to Lindsay to visit Helen on our way to the Windrem's cottage on Clear Lake north of Peterborough. The weather was warm, humid and unsettled and as we drove we could see the clouds churning in the distance. We stopped by Rachel's mom and dad's house for a short visit and breakfast on our way, then headed north.

Our visit with Helen included lunch, which we picked up at a great little deli in Markham before we left. We had a wonderful reunion although it was far too short and while we enjoyed our delicious lunch, in the distance we could hear thunder and it was beginning to cloud over. As we proceeded towards Peterborough we hit the storm that had been brewing all day. Rain was the last thing they needed as the city of Peterborough had been badly affected by a storm that moved through the area on Wednesday. On our way to the cottage we drove through several pockets of torrential rain making the drive slower than norm, however we arrived safely.

Terry and Janice are so welcoming and we enjoyed catching up with each other over the course of the evening. Bill and Laura and our friends, Ted and Jane Brown, as well as an assortment of kids joined us. There is nothing like good food and great people to make an evening fly by and there were plenty of both. Humidity, thunderstorms, sun, family and friends, a lakeside cottage and a yummy barbecue... all essential ingredients for a weekend in Ontario.