Leaving the Cat PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 24 July 2004 00:00
It was already warm here this morning when I woke up and I was going to leave for Vancouver by noon. My only concern was for Sam the cat, being left overnight alone in the motorhome. It is cool enough and very comfortable for sleeping but by 3:30 PM, it can get really hot. Between the heat and the fact that she was still recovering from my absence last week, I wasn't sure how she would be with no one here overnight. I opened all the windows, turned on the overhead fans and pulled the blinds down to block the sun. I filled up her bowl with fresh water, made sure she had plenty of food and I packed my overnight bag. By 11:30 AM, she was contentedly curled up sleeping and I was on my way to catch the ferry.

I caught the 1:00 PM ferry and I was at Karley's door by 3:30 PM. In just two weeks, her belly has grown significantly and there are no more doubts that she is pregnant. I think she looks wonderful! My baby is having a baby and I am very excited, as you know by now.

Rick was already at the track, working as a spotter for Mark Dilley so Karley, Ian and I went for a walk to the drive. When we got back, we all relaxed and before long, Rick was back. Mark placed a disappointing 8th but Rick had a great time despite the results. We then headed over to friends, Kevin and Cheryl, for a barbecue. By midnight we were in bed sleeping and I was thinking about my cat, hoping she was fine. (It's not like I could call her and ask) In Vancouver, it had cooled considerably so I knew that heat wouldn't be a factor; instead now I was concerned she'd be cold and lonely. Having pets is like having children and I felt guilty leaving her behind.