Walking Down Memory Lane PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 13 February 2005 00:00

On Tuesday night, Rick noticed that his knee felt sore and upon further investigation, could see that it was swollen. He has no recollection of injuring it but considered the possibility that he overdid it when he was working out. He has been watching his knee since then and over the course of the past few days, though the swelling has reduced, there has been the development of some bruising. Today, there was another new bruise so we decided he should go to a clinic for a medical opinion. Anyway, the doctor that examined him agreed that the bruising is a result of an undetermined injury and that he needs to ice it and take it easy. So today we continued to record our videotapes onto the DVD hard drive where we can edit them and transfer them to discs.

The videotapes we worked with today start from the summer of 1994 and proceed up to present day. There is footage of our cottage, which we owned from 1994 to 1997, there are tapes of our wedding and there are tapes of various Christmas's and dinners celebrated at our house or at my parent's or my sister's. It was wonderful seeing my dad, alive and healthy and my mom less frail and more mobile. We have videos of some of our vacations and there are videos of our days at Grandview Lodge, some while we worked and some while we played. We spent the afternoon laughing our heads off and we made a few phone calls to some of the folks in the videos.

We learned a few things from these tapes. We learned that we are really glad that we no longer drink; neither of us got better with the more we indulged. We also got to see how much our kids and we have changed; physically and behaviourally and with the exception of my antics, we have all improved, even with the additional lines on our faces. (I am horrible in videos because I am forever getting angry with the videographer for making me a subject of the camera.) From that I have learned to start smiling more and to be more pleasant lest I be perceived as a miserable person forever. In all the videos we have of my sister over the course of over 10 years, she never changes! Christine was graced with great skin and hair that defies the aging process (the lucky woman!). Most importantly, we learned the value of videotapes and I am very thankful that Rick is persistent and uses the camera.