Learning PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 13 December 2004 00:00

We are fortunate to be here on earth at a time when Spirituality is an acceptable way of being and is no longer condemned. To me Spirituality is the belief, the knowledge that we are all connected, part of something much greater than what is visible and that our time here is a miniscule moment in reality. There is no such thing as death; our life here is merely a human experience and a lesson that we need to have in order to evolve. The deeper I explore this belief, the more sure I am of it. I have no doubt that when we "die" it is merely our bodies that expire and that our souls live on.

When I was growing up, there was no one to talk to about how I felt, but I just sensed that my convictions were real. Since I have delved into these beliefs, I have discovered just how many others feel the same way and I am comforted knowing that I am not alone in them. When I gave birth to my children, I chose not to have them Christened, as I wanted them to discover for themselves, religion and spirituality, allowing them to choose which path they would take. However, when Jamie was hooked up to dozens of machines in Sick Kids, not knowing if he would survive the next few hours after his near drowning, Jim and I decided to have him baptized. Our Spirituality wasn't as strong then and we relinquished to the fear induced by religion that he would not get into heaven without it. As you know, he survived and now I see his Christening as a human ritual that makes no difference in his outcome as a human being and even less as a spirit, a soul.

I have learned, while on this path, that even though our lives here on the earth plain are short, they are rich with joy, beauty and most of all love. A loving family and wonderful friends surround me and I am extremely grateful. I have found such supreme peace around every adversity and challenge for which I have learned so much and I continue to grow spiritually as a result. Jim's death propelled me to where I sit today, then my father's death confirmed my beliefs and now the cancer that Jay has faced has merely cemented them even deeper. No matter the outcome, I know all will be well and is exactly the way it was meant to be and I am completely at peace with it. All of my children have been the most incredible teachers to me and no one could be more grateful than I am today.