The Christmas Spirit PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 21 December 2004 00:00

The weather here for the past several days has been really nice, mostly sunny with temperatures between 6C and 14C. I have always felt that Christmas just isn't right without snow so we'll see if those feelings remain now that there won't be any here. I have to say though that I am not missing the sub-zero temperatures that accompany the white stuff.

Today, Rick and I decided to venture downtown for a change to be part of the activity coming from the multitude of shoppers. Though we aren't exchanging gifts this year, we have been buying some things we need while we are out. Rick's shoes were in need of replacement and yesterday he donated two pairs to Goodwill so we thought we might look for some replacements. Rick bought some new shoes and deciding to wear them, asked the clerk to bag his old ones to take with us. While we were wandering along Robson Street we came across one poor old soul in a wheelchair pulling himself around in bare feet looking for handouts. Rick gave him his old shoes (which were not that old and in good shape) and some money. He was very grateful and it made our hearts feel good, knowing that now he might be able to keep his feet warm.

At least we tried, which is more than most of the other people rushing about doing their holiday shopping were doing and perhaps we helped him have a better Christmas. A little kindness goes a long way and if every shopper just took the time to share some Christmas spirit, perhaps all the homeless here would suffer a little less.