Two Days To Go PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 01 September 2005 16:00
Christine offered to let us borrow her cute, little sports car (a Honda S2000) to say our goodbyes today, which included a stop in Stroud to visit Rick's mom and a drive to Peterborough to visit the Windrem's. The weather, though cooler than it has been, was still warm enough to keep the convertible top down and we hoped the clouds in the sky would just continue to roll without dumping any rain on us. We packed our motorcycle jackets for the late day air and I pulled my hair back and wore a baseball cap so that my head could still accommodate a brush at the end of the day.

Our first destination was to the retirement home in Stroud where Rick's mom, Bea, met us at the door. It was great to spend some time with her and because Rick would be returning for a visit in December, there were no tearful goodbyes this time. From there, we then drove over to Lakefield, near Peterborough, to the Windrem's cottage while enjoying the music coming from the car's great sound system.

We arrived at the cottage near 6:00 PM (we were expected at 5:00 but were delayed by the heavy traffic) and were warmly greeted Terry and Janice. Soon, their cottage neighbours, Ted and Jane Brown and several other friends from around the lake, joined us. Nothing is better than a meal that includes good food, great friends and lively conversation and tonight was no exception. As the evening was getting later, it was time for us to say goodbye and head back home to get ready for Sunday's departure. It was a long day but we had fun using Christine's car to go and say farewell to our friends and because the night sky had filled with stars, we rode home with the top down using the cool night air to keep us awake.