The Countdown is On PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 13 October 2005 16:00
This day was reserved for babysitting and getting some necessary laundry done in preparation for our Sunday departure. We have a 1-piece washer/dryer, something many motorhomes have but a relatively uncommon appliance in traditional homes. However, in Europe, these types of washer/dryers have been around for years and are ideal for small spaces but they do have limitations. As long as we do a small amount of laundry daily, our clothes stay clean and come out of the machine relatively wrinkle-free. The key to these machines though is limiting the quantity of items that go in them in order to prevent the wrinkles because ironing is something I want to do as little as possible.

Large items like our terrycloth housecoats, a set of king-size sheets and a complete set of towels take a long time to wash and dry onboard. It is then that we will use a laundromat and today was a good day to do all the big stuff at once. Karley brought Makai over to the motorhome so we could baby-sit him while she went shopping alone. Because we can't take fruit and vegetables over the border, I decided to cook all the goodies I found in the fridge yesterday. Between laundry rotations, I prepared a vegetable stew from the produce we got from Dave on Tuesday and Rick took Makai swimming in the pool. Between that and the time he spent playing beforehand, Makai was exhausted and fell asleep on the couch for forty minutes before his mom came to get him.

By the end of the day, we had spent some great time with our wee grandson, got all our laundry caught up and Karley had an afternoon of uninterrupted shopping. I sent home a small container of fresh veggie stew for Makai's dinner, and mother and son headed home with promises from us to visit them tomorrow.