Getting to Redding PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 08 May 2006 16:00

This morning before the sun rose, after spending the night in a rest area south of Sacramento, we were up preparing for our drive to Redding where we will stay for the next week. Despite the “no overnight parking” rule, we were cradled on either side by dozens of transport trucks and a few cars or vans, all “overnighting” it as well. Once we showered, dressed, ate our breakfast and hit the road, the sun was just making its presence known. It was really pretty and had I not had the huge “bugsplat” (see yesterday’s Blog entry) on the windshield, I would have taken some photographs to share on here.

Being on the road very early meant our drive north was great; steady traffic with no delays (and no mechanical breakdowns), clear skies and a pleasant temperature. The landscape was gorgeous; rolling hills, miles of grapevines, acres of fruit trees and the smell of fresh hay was evident. The further north we got, through the Sacramento Valley, we could see snow-capped mountains in the distance. Hopefully, over the course of the next week, while exploring the area, I will get some pictures to show you how beautiful it is.

We arrived at the Bear Mountain RV Resort just before noon, much earlier than we had expected but perfect to get settled in and relax for the day. Neither of us slept well on Sunday night (with the anticipation of our trip) and our very early morning today made for two lazy people. Bear Mountain RV Resort is a little off the beaten track and has seen better days, but it is quiet, the owners are friendly and we can get both the TV and Internet with the satellite dishes clearly. (And the price was right!) We spent our day enjoying watching TV sitting outside in the great weather, with no dusty wind blowing through our site.