Another Day Whizzes By PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 27 May 2006 16:00

As most fulltimers understand, when we visit other folks, we like to stay in our own home. We do that for several reasons; the most important being to avoid overstaying our welcome and another, so we can sleep in our own bed. We are “camping” at Karley and Ian’s for the summer and we have a few “renovations” to make in order to make it work for us. Yesterday, Ian installed a 50 amp plug in the garage and tomorrow the wheels will be set in motion to widen the “pad” that we are parked on. Currently, we are parked as far over on the edge of the driveway beside the garage as we can be (there’s a drop down onto the grass which we would sink into) and our kitchen slide is not fully extended. Ian has to go to Baltimore for the next few days on business, so while he is gone Rick will oversee some of the changes.

This afternoon, Jay drove an hour and fifteen minutes from downtown Vancouver, where he lives, to come and visit. It seems he is one of Makai’s favourite people and he was immediately greeted with a “Jay!” from his little nephew. After sitting around catching up on news, we all went to Bruce’s Country Market, near here, for a late lunch and to pick up a few organic groceries. Bruce’s is a great little market and after our yummy meal, I enjoyed poking around the store to see what goodies we needed that were on the shelves.

When we returned, I put together some of the groceries we bought yesterday and today, into a large saucepan to make a pot of split-pea soup. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed having lots of countertop space to work on and it took me about half the time I am used to. In my “stick house life”, cooking was something I really enjoyed as well as it being a way for me to relax (especially when I have lots of room). I suspect I’ll be taking advantage my time here to do some “chef-ing” and when it comes time to leave, I’ll have an excuse to take a break. (My poor Rickey!)