This One Is For You, Aunty Laura & Uncle Bill PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 11 July 2006 16:00

Monet, our new little granddaughter seems to have her days and nights mixed up; she sleeps soundly for approximately three hours between feedings in the daytime yet fusses and snuffles around at night, sleeping for only an hour or two at a time. This is common behaviour for a newborn and quite bearable unless as a mom, you have a toddler around as well. Last night Karley had very little sleep (again) so his morning while Makai was at the pool, I babysat Monet so her mom could sleep. I certainly earned my keep today as she was awake and squirming most of the time and I was either rocking her or burping her while her mom got some shuteye.

While she was still in her mom, Karley commented on how much more active Monet was than her big brother. Once Makai was born he would lay awake, staring around at his surroundings quietly and though Monet does that too, she is often flailing her arms around as well (just like she did on the inside). However, she rarely cries, except when her tummy needs to be filled and today she was awake during the day a little more than yesterday. Hopefully, she will sleep better tonight and Karley will get some much needed rest.

This evening Rick and Ian went to an auction while Karley and I stayed home with the babies. Having some quiet time with fewer people around offered us an opportunity to help Makai to become better acquainted with his baby sister. At one point she was fussing in her bassinette and so I attended to her while Makai looked on. At first he wasn’t happy that Granni wasn’t available to him and so I suggested that he sit on the couch and I would help him hold her. He was quite excited and once the two siblings were settled, we asked Makai to show us her facial parts. Here he is demonstrating where her nose is. He was so gentle, very happy and didn’t poke anything he shouldn’t; not bad for his first time at holding his little sister.