Half Over or Just Beginning? PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 27 July 2006 16:00

Here it is, near the end of July, the summer is half over and I am still feeling like we just got here. In the short time we have been here, Makai has grown (he’s becoming quite a little “boy”, no longer a baby) and Monet has arrived (at last) and I ask myself where the time has gone. Last week we bought web-cams; one for us and one for Karley and Ian so that this winter we can communicate over the internet while being able to see each other. Hopefully that way we won’t miss the wee kiddies as they grow and change and they may even remember who we are (well, at least Makai might).

This morning we went for our morning walk with Karley and Monet again; it is nice with the three adults and two children, walking, berry picking and talking as we take our hike. We walked under overcast skies, with a hint of rain (but none materialized) and there was a nice breeze making it much more pleasant, especially when going up the hills. Today we took two strollers which was a better plan than yesterday’s, which ended up with Karley and I taking turns with Monet over our shoulders. (Karley brought her “snuggler” (a hammock-like sling) but Monet wouldn’t settle in it hence the over-the-shoulder-sack-of-potatoes method.)

We picked another 4 litre-sized container of blackberries today and haven’t even scratched the surface of the amount of berries left on the vines. Last night we enjoyed blackberries with whipped cream and for tomorrow, we have blackberry crepes on the menu. To say that we love being here is an understatement; between spending time with our grandchildren and their parents (and uncle), having access to so many yummy fruits and vegetables at a “sweet” price (or for free) and being in such a beautiful province are just some of the reasons. The summer may be half over, but at the same time we still have half of it left to enjoy!