Exploring Areas South of Radium Hot Springs PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Monday, 23 July 2007 21:06
july 24-07.jpgWe had a late start this morning just because we were being a little lazy. It rained briefly overnight and we heard nothing so we certainly slept well enough. The heat of the last few days has finally passed and today we really enjoyed the 26°C (79°F) temperature. We decided to drive south and explore Kimberley, the ski area, and Cranbrook, the nearest city which has just recently announced a major expansion to their airport.

Kimberley was as cute as could be with it’s quaint Swiss-Alps-village atmosphere and huge ski resort mountain towering over it. We stopped and talked with someone and learned to our surprise that golf is the biggest draw and the summer months are busier as a result. There are three golf courses in the immediate area around Kimberley and with the coming expansion of the Cranbrook airport; folks will be coming there from around the world. On our return to the Moho we took a detour and drove up to the Panorama Mountain Village, the closest Alpine ski resort to Radium Hot Springs and another Intrawest development. It was quite spectacular and we anticipate some major growth in years to come!

When we first arrived here, our first impressions left us feeling like we would only stay two nights as opposed to the three nights we reserved. However, after spending a day touring around the area we have decided to stay until Thursday. There are more things to see and explore and like I mentioned earlier, the weather is divine.

On our way to Kimberley I noticed a large nest in a tree so on our way back we made a point of stopping to see what it was. Evidently it is an Osprey nest and I managed to get some pictures. We counted at least three heads in the nest and we could hear them loudly calling while the adult was flying nearby.