A Northern Route PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Sunday, 15 July 2007 12:05
july 16-07.jpgOkay, so it’s not a 5 star, it may not even qualify for 1 star, but the sites are level, we have 50 AMP service, water and sewer hook-ups and there is a swimming pool that is actually functioning and is nice and clean. We aren’t beside the highway or railway tracks and I get a clear signal with the internet dish; our overnight location here in northern Montana is a perfect respite after a full day of traveling.

We left Wyatt’s Hideaway RV Park by 10:00 AM and drove due north via Highway 85, through North Dakota, entering the Central Time Zone for awhile, and then west on Highway 2 into Montana which put us back into Mountain Time again. Tonight we are parked just outside of Glasgow and for the life of me; I am trying to understand why anyone would want to live in these parts. Montana IS Big Sky country and our experience tells us that the western part of the state is much prettier than the north-eastern part.

Through North Dakota we came across another “Badlands” on a smaller scale which was very pretty and there we also found the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Our entire route today was peaceful, smooth and deserted with few travelers and no trucks at all, which allowed us to make great time. We saw miles of hay fields, more than we’ve ever seen anywhere, with baled hay on state land beside the highways as well. Crazy!

We made a stop in Williston, North Dakota to see if I could pick up some groceries at the local Albertsons. We’ve had good luck finding an array of organics in this grocery store chain elsewhere but evidently, in North Dakota, organic food is not something they concern themselves with. I did manage to buy some fresh, wild salmon though which we enjoyed, barbequed, for dinner. Tomorrow we’ll be back on Canadian soil, slowly making our way to Mission but for tonight we are “home” in Montana!

Through our bug splattered windshield, I did manage to get this blurry picture of the area near Theodore Roosevelt National Park.