Big in Texas PDF Print E-mail
Written by Susan Hollingshead   
Monday, 02 April 2007 11:00

apr03-07.jpgI just have to share this. They do everything big in Texas; big cities, big roads, big hair and big exaggeration. (To be fair, Texan’s are not the only exaggerators.) Once before while crossing this state, I read the enthusiastic description of an RV park only to discover it resembled nothing like it’s colourful portrayal, ie: though it did have a pool, it had a tree growing out if it’s dry, cracked bottom. Well I fell (again) for a description in the Book Edition of 2007 Trailer Life Directory; “Spectacular scenic view of El Paso & Rio Grande Valley” states the headline. “Restrooms/Showers, 75’ Pull-thrus, Gravel sites, Security, Good paved roads, Meeting Room (air-conditioned).”

We had considered staying an extra day if it turned out to be as good as it sounded just to explore a little. We are heading to Houston but our reservations there aren’t until Friday (Oh Lord, please let that park be what it is supposed to be!) so we have plenty of time to dawdle. Actually we checked out the reviews of the Houston Park on www.rvparkreviews.com, so I think it’s a safe bet.

The picture here is of some Joshua Tree-like plants in full bloom that we have seen throughout Texas, though I doubt that that is what they are, they must be related. I have managed to post some pictures both yesterday and today so check them out under the “Pictures” section. There you’ll get an idea of what I am referring to above at the Cotton Valley RV Park in El Paso.

The good news is we are being slugs; staying up later and sleeping in, never in a rush and a drastic change from the past few months. (Okay, so the time change does have a slight effect!) We only drive until we decide to stop and where we stop really isn’t an issue. Last night we chose a full hook-up park so I could do some laundry and we could relax a little. The park was so not what it was described as so this morning a walk was out of the question (perhaps tonight we’ll be someplace where we can) and our TV satellite dish didn’t pull in our satellite so no regular television. Instead we settled for a DVD we hadn’t seen while we surfed on the net and enjoyed a Greek salad for dinner.