Seaworld Orlando PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 24 January 2004 00:00
Today we were up early and we headed up to Seaworld, Orlando in Graham and Gayle's RV. We took their RV because we were accompanied by their daughter Taunja, her husband Mark and their granddaughters, Bryden and Faith and rather than take separate vehicles, we could all be together. It was a perfect day for this outing as the weather was sunny and mild, around 21C (70F).

Seaworld is billed as a "Premier Marine Adventure Park" featuring all kinds of aquatic life housed on over 200 acres. There are rides, games, playgrounds, restaurants, shows and educational displays throughout the compound. The park is owned by Anheuser-Busch and they strive to educate people about animals, teaching us to appreciate them and protect them. I was saddened that these animals are being confined in a park however, many of them come there after being found injured in the wild. They are well cared for and do seem content but I still feel in my heart that it is not right to keep them on display. I was intrigued by this mother seal with her baby which she was nursing while they basked in the warm sunshine.

We did feed seals and stingrays and watched two shows, one with two large seals, two sea otters and a walrus and one with several killer whales. We did a lot of walking, which I needed and everyone had a good time but more importantly we left with a lot more knowledge than we had when we arrived. There is an educational website maintained by Anheuser-Busch, seaworld.org, if you are interested.

(FYI: When you see words bolded on our site, if you run your mouse over them and they change colour, that is a link to the subject's website.)