A Surprise PDF Print E-mail
Tuesday, 13 July 2004 00:00
I am on my way back to Ontario for a short visit. Everyday that I will be back is well planned and my sole goal is to visit with a few people (some as a surprise) and then head back in seven days. It's not really a holiday because it is so organized (something I am not) but more like a work/visit. Last night I had a restless sleep (big surprise) and was awake and waiting for the sun at 5:00AM. My flight was scheduled to depart at 2:35 PM (or so I thought) and I had planned to take the 10:00 AM bus from Victoria. It would put me on the 11:00 AM ferry with an estimated arrival at the airport at 1:30 PM, plenty of time to get checked in.

The first sign that things may not go as planned was in Victoria when the bus made a stop along the way and picked up two very flustered, elderly passengers with no tickets and no reservations. The bus driver impatiently sold them their tickets and got them settled but we were delayed by 10 minutes. Then when we arrived at the ferry terminal, we experienced another delay and the ferry left 10 minutes late. Things were not looking good!

Once the ferry arrived in Tsawwassen, things got worse as the bus driver was informed that there was an accident ahead and we were being rerouted. I arrived at the airport at 2:05 PM just as my flight was taxiing down the runway! Yes, I missed my flight. Apparently, I misread my ticket and it was scheduled to depart at 2:05 PM not 2:35 PM so I had to go on standby at 4:05 PM, which means I am arriving at 11:35 PM. Rachel will be picking me up and as a result, she will be very tired for work tomorrow. I kept telling myself there is a reason for all this and I am not meant to arrive at 9:35 as previously planned. (Besides, it's easier than admitting that I screwed up!)

The good news is the 4:05 PM flight was half full, I have three seats to myself, I took some pictures as we were taking off and I have lots of time to write this!