Modern Communication PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 31 July 2004 00:00
Since May 7th, we have been without our satellite Internet system. We have managed to stay online so far with the help of Shaw Cable and as a result of that, we have also had access to a broadband phone. Armand, our satellite techie from Lindsay actually came out here and spent a weekend resetting our system and installing a new server, but after a lot of aggravation, it also stopped working. It seems that the Galaxy satellite that our dish communicates with has experienced a drop in strength recently and we are also at the very edge of its range to begin with.

Today we picked up a new computer at the airport that Armand shipped to us from Lindsay yesterday. I hooked it up and after a couple of hours of searching; it cannot connect with the satellite either. Because we are heading up island tomorrow (on Sunday of the long weekend) we will not get back onto the Internet until Wednesday when I have arranged for Campbell River Cable to come out to the campground and set up the Internet for us there. Consequently, our broadband phone won't be able to work either until the cable Internet is hooked up. Now we could get lucky and the move may put us in a better range of the satellite enabling us to connect to it, but we won't know until we get there.

In the meantime, we are packed and ready to move. Rick is excited to drive the motorhome again (his favourite part of this life) and I am prepared to be without my "modern communication system" until we resettle. If you need to reach us, continue to send emails (we'll get them on Wednesday). Hopefully our broadband phone, will be up and running by Wednesday as well. I'll fill you in on our trip up to Campbell River and upload all the days' journeys when we are online again.

Have a great long weekend, folks!