Heaven? PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 06 September 2004 00:00
The beaches here are fabulous (as we continuously discover) and there are no shortages of them. Here at the campground, we enjoy Mackenzie Beach and the ever-changing treasures washed ashore with every tide. I thought that Labour Day would reduce the number of people on the beach as I assumed that people would be heading back to their homes for school, however the only real difference is the number of children here.

We rode our bicycles to Tofino this morning and as we meandered around the town, we discovered Tonquin Park, which led us across a great little boardwalk to a quiet, sheltered, small beach with another view and different surf. As we walked along the water's edge we discovered hundreds of huge barnacles that have washed ashore and we admired the scenic vista before us. We enjoyed our ride back along the bicycle path that leads from Tofino all the way into the Pacific Rim National Park. Along the path, there are dozens of little trails that lead to who-knows-where but I am sure that there are more beaches to discover.

Though it was somewhat overcast for most of the day, the evening brought a clear blue sky again so after dinner we walked around the campground first on our way to the beach. We went along an area that we had previously ignored and came to realize what a wonderful campground Bella Pacifica truly is, especially for tent campers. The tenting sites are very secluded, many overlooking the beach and nearly all were occupied. As we strolled along the beach we encountered dozens of people of all ages enjoying the sunset, some with a blanket and a bottle of wine, some with chairs and some like us... just walking. Perhaps with the onset of fall, the age group of campers here has changed a little but there are still plenty of surfers, young adults mostly, and other folks like us revelling in the opportunity to spend some time here in this piece of heaven.