Who's Counting? PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 08 September 2004 00:00
The last few weeks (actually it's exactly 39 days, 10 hours and 52 minutes, but who's counting?) have been very hard for me and I have to admit I miss the Internet. It feel like it is my lifeline and without ready access to it, I'm lost. I might even be addicted to it (I wonder if there is a local chapter of "IA" in Vancouver?) but I feel really separated and I am looking forward to setting up in Vancouver and getting the Internet in the motorhome again. I haven't done any assignments for my writing course, no more paragraphs for my story and I've let my banking and bookkeeping slide, not to mention responding to my email. We are too far west for the satellite Internet to work here and there is no cable so I resort to finding a café in town to upload my daily journal but I can't research some of the places we visit like I can when the Internet is readily available. Who would have ever thought that this would happen?

I have come to rely on it to communicate with my friends, to find cool places to explore and to research facts when I write. Today, while it rained I read a book, which was quite good actually, but I should have been working on my short story or at the very least, my homework. Before if I felt inspired, I often wrote my journal in the middle of the night and researched facts and found websites to link to but now it's just not possible. Without the Internet, I procrastinate even more than usual and I procrastinate a lot. We did go into Tofino so I could upload the last four days of my journal but it was an inconvenience because I had to get dressed and everything.

I thought this interlude without it would cure me but evidently I was wrong, if anything it might have made me worse. Yup... there is no question, I am an Internet junkie and I am not afraid to admit it. Just 9 more days...but really, who's counting?Wink