It's Working! PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 10 November 2004 00:00

nov 10-04.jpgFinally, after weeks of getting on an exercise program that I can be consistent with, it is working. I have lost some weight but more importantly, I have lost fat and replaced it with muscle. My back, which has been in pretty tough shape since February has improved so much, it's hard for me to believe. I know that the main cause of my back pain was the extra ten pounds of fat I was carrying around my waist and I knew that in order to remain mobile, I needed to eliminate it.

About six weeks ago, I started to use my Nordic Track again for 30 minutes everyday, which was exactly the cardio I needed to start getting the fat to melt. (Fortunately, Rick has rigged up a clipboard to it so that I can read while working out which helps me get through it.) I also took up swimming in the pool here for a minimum of 20 laps a day, which has given me back by long-lost flexibility. The final change was in my food intake, which, though still "vegaquarian" was too high in bad carbohydrates (sugar and flour) and too low in protein. Between the combination of all three, I feel better than I have in a long time and my clothes are beginning to fit again.

Up until I hit 40, I stayed in reasonably good shape without a lot of effort but as the years have increased so have the pounds. Fortunately, I am tall and can disguise my shape-change with clothes but my spine just could not handle it. As long as I want to remain pain free and mobile, I'm going to have to keep up this program. It is certainly easier to do though when I can feel and see the difference in such a short time. Yay! Smile