A New Chair PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 05 January 2005 00:00

I woke up at 2:30 this morning to the sound of my poor hubby being sick. It seems he picked up a virus or something and spent most of his night in the bathroom. This morning, aside from being exhausted he was still suffering from a very upset stomach. It was obvious that he would be out of commission for the duration of the day so whatever plans I had would have to be done by myself.

After a half hour swim and breakfast, I made sure Rick was comfortable and then I headed over to Karley's with a chair for the baby. When my kids were little the only chairs available for infants were these hard plastic things with a vinyl-wrapped foam pad and flimsy, adjustable legs which precariously held it up. Yesterday, after suggesting that Karley might find one useful, (they are a real life saver for a Mom) she asked us to pick one up for her at Babies-R-Us, very near our RV park. The ones made today are a far cry from the ones of yesteryear. There were several brands and styles to choose from, all similar in design but with variations and prices ranging from $40 up to $130. Some rock and/or vibrate and have music boxes on them and they all come with detachable toys. Most of them will only support a child up to 25 lbs. and at the rate that Makai is growing; he would be too big for them in three months. We found a rocking Fisher-Price one that will support a child up to 40 lbs., has a vibrator attached and converts into a toddler's chair, so it was a more practical solution. The other benefit of the new chair is that it will save Karley from bringing the bassinette downstairs every day as Makai can nap in it, too.

After burping Makai and enjoying over an hour of his alert attention, I placed him in his new chair and watched him as he gazed at the attached toys. I think this little one will enjoy his new chair as much as his Mommy will! Smile