American Thanksgiving Day PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 23 November 2005 16:00

Today is the American Thanksgiving Day, a national holiday here and celebrated much the same as it is in Canada. Families get together feasting on traditional fare; turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing and vegetables and giving thanks for their good fortune. Here at Catalina Spa, there was a Thanksgiving dinner held at the main clubhouse for anyone wishing to take part for a small fee. Many of the residents attended the dinner, some went away, perhaps to a nearby family members home, and several folks had their families join them here.

Yesterday, we were offered two free tickets for the matinee of the Palm Springs Follies, a great “ part Broadway, part Vegas” show put on by an amazing cast of professional performers. The folks who had the tickets didn’t realize that it was for Thanksgiving Day and had made plans to be with their family. Who better to give them to than two vegetarian Canuks with one on a fast!?! The host/moderator/theatre owner/producer, Riff Markowitz, was hilarious; entertaining everyone with humour before and between acts. The most impressive thing about the show, besides the incredible costumes, was the fact that the performers range in age from 54 to 82! Trust me when I say, I have NEVER seen that many over-50 men and women in such amazing condition. They all danced and sang like people at least half their ages and the women’s legs put most 20 year olds to shame.

Three and a half hours later we re-emerged to the outside where the sun was setting in the distance. As overcast as it was yesterday, today was sunny and warm with the high reaching 29C and we were inside for most of the afternoon! It was really a great show, worth missing half a day of sun, and besides…we know there are plenty more sunny days ahead. We certainly have lots to be grateful for, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Unfortunately, no pictures could be taken during the performance and as the theatre is dark, this picture didn't turn out very well. Sorry!