Celebrating in the Desert PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 30 December 2005 16:00

Here it is New Year’s Eve and we have no major plans to celebrate the dawning of 2006 other than to go out for an early dinner together. The “kids” (Bill, Laura, Jay, Karley and Ian) all wanted to return to the outlet mall today for one last opportunity to shop so Makai stayed behind with Granni and Grandpa. Actually, Rick did all the babysitting because I headed over to Wal-Mart and Trader Joes to get some groceries to hold us over for a few more days.

The “kids” all returned home with more bags in hand by 3:00 PM and we all relaxed for a while until we went into Palm Springs for dinner at 5:30. Tonight we decided to try the California Pizza Kitchen on North Palm Canyon Drive because I had read that they had great food and we were not disappointed in the least. On Thursday, we tried a restaurant, Maki Maki, which was a big disappointment (both the service and the food left a lot to be desired) but tonight’s meal was exemplary in comparison. Our server was cheerful and attentive and our food was absolutely delicious!

Makai enjoyed his mom’s salad and his own pizza as well as anything his dad offered him and for a one year old, he certainly has a great appetite. After dinner we headed back to the park and Karley, Ian and Makai retired for the evening. As I write this, the rest of us are sitting around watching “The Gangs of New York” and waiting for midnight to arrive. Based on the occasional yawn that has slipped from my mouth, the chances of me being awake for the stroke of 12:00 are slim to none and I sense Rick feels the same way. I’ll let you know tomorrow.

(We did manage to see the Barrie “A” Channel ringing in the new year in Ontario so we aren’t a total write-off.) Have a Happy New Year Folks!