A Day Trip to Mexico PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 12 March 2006 16:00

This morning we were greeted by a clear blue sky with plenty of sunshine and we were expecting a high of 18C (64F), not hot, hot, but a whole lot better than it has been lately. It was the kind of day that was perfect for a drive and so Rick and I joined our friends, Rich and Laura and headed to Algodones in Mexico. The three hour drive took us around the Salton Sea, through the Imperial Sand Dunes and through Brawley, California into Arizona.

Once Rich parked the car; we walked over the border into the town of Algodones, home of inexpensive pharmaceuticals, dentistry and eyeglasses. American and Canadian snowbirds regularly cross the border to shop for prescription drugs, quality glasses and superb dental care at greatly reduced prices. Rick and I each purchased new eyeglasses there last year that needed some adjusting and we returned to the store to have them serviced. We also took Rich and Laura to the same sidewalk eatery where we ate last year for the cheapest lunch in town, $8.40 for 8 fish tacos and 3 bottled drinks. Then we had to return…..standing in the longest line ever, through US customs to cross back over the border. Surprisingly, despite the length of the line, we got through it in a little more than 20 minutes and we then drove back to the Coachella Valley.

Because it was late when we returned, rather than cook at home, we decided to go out to eat at a great Thai restaurant we tried in January. Last fall, after searching the area for weeks for a restaurant serving good Thai fare, we finally tried Peeraya’s at the recommendation of my Reiki friend/client, Anita. Tonight we returned with Rich and Laura, who also appreciated the restaurant’s cuisine and reasonable prices. It was a long day, it’s late and we are all tired but we had a great day visiting Mexico.