Walking Works! PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 06 November 2006 16:00

A few months ago, I had watched a program with an interview of a man who did the entire interview while walking on a treadmill. I don’t remember all the details but I do remember that walking was the key in staying fit and healthy.

Last week I watched an Oprah show and her guest was Dr. Mehmet Oz. There were a couple of women featured who Dr. Oz had helped with their efforts to lose weight and in three months both woman had really transformed. One of the things they had done to lose weight was walk 10,000 steps a day. He also recommended getting a sweat going for as long as possible.

Since I started aggressively walking for an hour everyday with the ladies here in the park, I have lost all of 1 pound; however I have been able to eat three meals a day without gaining weight, a real accomplishment. We have a scale that calculates body fat, muscle mass, and water content. Today when I weighed myself, I was excited to discover that my muscle mass had increased and my fat content had decreased. Walking IS working. Yay! In the past, with the exception of my 1½-year Nordic-tracking routine and year long swimming program, I haven’t kept up with any exercise program. I am hoping that this time I will stick to this one because it is so easy and accessible no matter where we are!

Once again, I am including another picture taken on Sunday.