Lively Trees PDF Print E-mail
Wednesday, 08 November 2006 16:00

For several days while on our morning walk, I have caught the faint aroma of what I thought was chlorine in the air in certain locations around the park. I have also noticed a somewhat loud humming sound near these scented areas and never made a connection. I just assumed that there was either a loud transformer there or a perhaps a motorhome’s electrical system buzzing.

Well, imagine my surprise to find that the “chlorine” scent was actually a smell being emitted from some trees here in the park. I should have realized it wasn’t chlorine because the trees are nowhere near the hot tubs or pools (where they use very little or no chlorine at all and there is not a hint of a “chlorine” odor there anyway). I also learned that the humming sound is actually hundreds of bees gathering nectar in the trees!

I am told that in the spring these wonderful trees are also huge magnets for hundreds of butterflies. Just imagine that sight! Now if I could only find out what kind of trees these are….! If anyone reading this knows, please email me so I can share that information with the rest of the folks who read this site.