Thoughts PDF Print E-mail
Thursday, 16 November 2006 16:00

In the summer of 2003 parts of Ontario and north eastern USA were plunged into a major blackout. It was that summer that we had taken delivery of our motorhome and were actually living in it though it was parked in our driveway beside our house. While folks all around us fumbled with candles and relied on open windows to keep them cool, we had our genny-powered Moho. However, living in the country and owning a B & B, we also had a generator for our house in the event of power failures; something we dealt with periodically. We were forced to use it a couple of times in the depth of winter and once in the summer and our lives were markedly better than our non-generated neighbours during those times.

Karley’s powerless episode that I mentioned yesterday continued into today. Last night they endured one more night with no power which was complicated by the fact that Monet is suffering with a nasty cold. Karley was up several times through the night and when I spoke with her briefly this morning she was exhausted and pretty much fed up with BC Hydro. I received a call from her at 4:00 PM to say that at last the power had been restored and she was very happy!

There was a time when power failures were few and far between but with a growing population, more severe weather and an ever increasing power demand, those powerless days are increasing in number. Like I said yesterday, we sure wished we had been closer to the MacLachlan family during the past few days. Better yet, we wish they could have been here to enjoy the park and see our blooming hibiscus!